The story of LE KLINT dates back to the start of the 20th century, when the first pleated lamp shade was folded by P.V. Jensen-Klint, architect and Master of Engineering. He made it to fit a paraffin lamp, which he had also designed.
With help from the entire LE KLINT family, a number of friends and sons, Tage and Kaare, the newly assembled LE KLINT team, worked hard on refining the new shade and in return received one as a gratitude gift. This was a customary act in those days. In 1943 Tage Klint pioneered the LE KLINT family handicraft and pleating skills into a real business. He masterminded a new outstanding and decisive detail to the LE KLINT shades, which were then added, the elastic collar.
Kaare Klint was a well-known and respected architect and an accomplished craftsman and designer. From the very beginning, LE KLINT reaped the benefits of Kaare Klint`s astonishing talent. He created LK 101 (a pendant known as the Fruit lamp) and LK 306 (a versatile table and wall lamp) about the time the company was founded. Both lamps are still among the company`s best-selling lamps.
Back in 1943 the Le Klint shop was established in Copenhagen in order that the lamps could be presented and sold in an inspiring surrounding. The shop was furnished with Kaare Klint originals and Rosentapet floral wall coverings designed by Gunnar Billmann Petersen adorned the walls. This sophisticated décor allowed the white pleated lampshades to illuminate to perfection. Tage Klint’s daughter, Lise Le Charlotte Klint was the very first Le Klint Shop Manager.
In 1953, Jan Klint, Tage Klint`s son, took the helm. He was a businessman and light years ahead of his time. In 1971, Jan Klint had a foundation set up to insure the future of the LE KLINT employees. It is still in effect today.
Throughout the 20th century, LE KLINT lamps were developed in cooperation with architects and designers. The designs have been adjusted continually to keep up with technological advances. The story of LE KLINT is not merely the story of a company, but also reflects the history of design and technology for more than one hundred years - a century during which LE KLINT has evolved into today`s modern manufacturing company with a strong grip on traditional craftsmanship.
Designers involved: Fleming Agger, Michael Bang, Aurelien Barbry, Gunnar Biilmann-Petersen, Poul Christiansen, Nils Grunnet-Jensen, Andreas Hansen, Erik Hansen, Harrit-Sørensen + Samson (Thomas Harrit, Nicolai Sørensen & Kim Samson), Christian Hvidt, Robert Kasal, Tove & Edvard Kindt-Larsen, Esben Klint, Kaare Klint, Tage Klint, Mogens Koch, Komplot Design (Poul Christiansen, Boris Berlin), Thomas Krause, Philip Bro Ludvigsen, Orla Molgaard-Nielsen, Anna-Mette Monnelly, Tine Mouritsen, Lise Navne, Aage Petersen, Christian Raeder, Poul Seest Pedersen, Henning Seidelin, Oivind Slaatto, Sinja Svarrer Damkjaer, Amanda Taarup Betz, Vilhelm Wohlert.