Graduated from the Polytechnic of Milan in 1952, Vittorio Gregotti then collaborated with Lodovico Meneghetti and Giotto Stoppino from 1953 to 1968. Gregotti is the founder of Gregotti Associati (an international architectural design firm), a professor of architectural composition at the IUAV (Architectural Institute - University of Venice) and a visiting professor at the Universities of Tokyo, Buenos Aires, Sao Paulo, Lausanne, Harvard, Philadelphia, Princeton, Cambridge (UK) and at MIT in Cambridge (USA). Through his experiments with the neo-avant-gardes in the early 1960s, his editorship of Casabella from 1982 to 1995, his teaching, practice, and writing, Gregotti\'s voice has influenced many architectural debates. Gregotti is particularly suspicious of the deconstructivist argument and its heavy reliance on literary models. He provides an incisive critique of the recent interest in modernist aesthetics, warning against reviving the forms of an old movement without considering the cultural and social criteria that once gave it purpose and meaning.
Gregotti was responsible for the introductory section of the XIII Triennale (Milan, 1964) which won the International Grand Prix, and from 1974 to 1976 he was director of the visual arts and architectural section of the Biennale di Venezia. He has been a member of the Accademia di San Luca since 1976 and the Accademia di Brera since 1995. He was conferred the Gold Medal for Science and Culture from the President of Italian Republic in 2000, the degree honoris causa from the Polytechnic of Prague in 1996, from the Polytechnic of Bucharest in 1999, and from the University of Porto in 2003. Since 1997 he has been a member of the BDA (Bund der deutschen Architekten) and from 1999 an honorary member of the American Institute of Architects.
Vittorio Gregotti, Lodovico Meneghetti and Giotto Stoppino designed lamps for Arredoluce, Arteluce and Fontana Arte.